Brit's International

Brit's International
For Brit's Abroad

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Blowout Sale




Well, we had our last Car Boot Sale on 19th June 2010 over at the Marbon Cafe in Kansas City, Missouri, and what a blowout it was.
An early start to a Saturday morning, and pretty warm at that time of the day already of about 80 degrees, but we all kicked on with it all.
Managed in the end to have about 15 sellers, so not bad a turnout for the location.

Finally got the new canopy up for the Brit's International display, and got all the sign up papers out.

Got the London Taxi all nicely lined up to hopefully attract visitors to the venue, but with another sale going on the opposite corner of the road it seemed a bit of a slow event.
Seems all the advertising that was done really didn't bring a whole lot of people top the event.

However, we made a few sales throughout the time there, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

The two local British car groups didn't show up which is the second time that has happened, so I've no idea why they don't want to show up to a British event. Oh well, at least we had one British vehicle there.

Chris, and his wife Margaret formerly of Raytown, Missouri were in town from there home in South Carolina, and we had a great chat, and a few pictures taken by the taxi.

A lady, and her husband from England turned up whom we discovered actually grew up in my hometown of Wimbledon, SW London, and she grew up about a mile from me, so a definite surprise to find yet another Womble living right here in the area.
That makes 4 of us from Wimbledon that are living here in the Kansas City area that I've met.
Bloody amazing that we all meet out in the middle of the USA.

After all had left I popped in for a quick bite to eat, and drink at the cafe to cool down at the same time, and our resident pension broker shot in to say that I needed to move my stuff as a storm was coming in very quickly. He wasn't wrong because as I turned I saw things flying by, so i shot outside to hang onto the new canopy, then a couple of others turned to hold onto it too..
It was new, and I couldn't remember how to collapse the blasted thing, so now we had four blokes holding onto this thing in 60-70mph winds about to play Mary Poppins with it.
I'm sure if one of us would've let go we'd have been found surfing I-70 to St. Louis.
Whilst holding onto that I'm watching papers fly all over, and a brand new table I'd bought the day before take off, and then hit the ground. That was the end of that's use.

I've no idea where all these people came from, but all were placing stuff in the back of the truck, the taxi, and the trailer. Other vehicle's owners were racing all over as well although most were hidden around the side of the building.

At this time I hadn't realised that one of our newer members had turned up in the storm (Hayden). We don't often see him, and his wife, so after it had settled a wee bit I noted that next time he should warn us he's on the way with an entrance like that...

The wind quickly passed through although not quick enough for any of us I'm sure.

The temperature dropped 20 degrees, and it felt rather nice for awhile, but it quickly climbed back up to 90 degrees after that.

Anyhow, that was indeed a Blowout Sale that ended rather rapidly... I've still not cleared the back of the truck up with all the sales stuff in there, but it's having fun bustling around in there for now.

What an end to an event..... I know they say to stick around for a day in Missouri to see the weather change, but it
's getting to be a wee bit quicker at changing nowadays...

Cheers for reading.

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment